Thursday, February 25, 2016

How man escaped car robber by ramming into Police vehicle

Twenty-five years old Paul Bassey has narrated how he used a painter’s gun-like spraying instrument to rob a Good Samaritan, who gave him a lift.

According to the Nigerian Tribune, the suspect,also confessed that he had many successful robbery operations, using the toy gun.
The suspect had just dispossessed a car owner of his vehicle and other valuables, when he was intercepted by operatives of the RRS along Lekki-Epe Expressway.
According to one of the RRS officers,

 “we were on routine patrol duty when we suddenly saw a vehicle on high speed coming behind us. The said vehicle overtook us and its driver forcefully opened the door and started shouting for help. Immediately, we gave the car a hot chase which led to the arrest of a young guy, later identified as Paul Bassey.”
On arrival at the RRS Headquarters in Alausa, the suspect confessed to the crime, saying
“I was a lone operator and employ the tactics of stopping private car drivers to seek for lift. Once I enter into the car, I will point the iron-made gun at their head to subject them to my control. If they cooperate with me I will only collect their belongings and let them go but if they drag with me, I will use my stainless toy gun to hit them.
“I did operate very early in the morning and late at night because they won’t know that I was using fake gun to threaten them,” he said.
The owner of the recovered vehicle, Mr David Oriakhi, who also followed the suspect to the RRS’s Headquarters in Alausa, said he regretted offering a stranger a lift.
The victim narrated that
“I left my boss’ place around 5:00 a.m., hoping to get to my house before 7: 00 a.m. The suspect waved to me at VGC Roundabout and I decided to help him. On getting inside the car, he pointed a gun at me asking me to hand over my belongings to him, which I did but to my greatest surprise, he asked me to turn back at VGC Roundabout and head towards Epe.
“At this point I got apprehensive but at the same time was looking for necessary help. When I turned towards Lekki-Epe Expressway, on getting to Ajah Roundabout, I sighted stationary RRS officers, then, I decided to ram my vehicle into them and shouted for help. This was how they chased us and the vehicle was intercepted and suspect arrested.”

No comments:

Post a Comment